Sunday, October 22, 2017

8th Buddhi International Open Rating Chess Championship 2017



For the 8th time  Buddhi International Open Rating Chess Championship was organized by Mrs. Buddhi Panagoda the managing director of Buddhi education development centre. The venue for this year's event was Apsara Hotel in Nittabuwa. I got the opportunity to play in this tournament under the visually impaired category.  Over 550 chess players participated in this tournament and we had to play 10 rounds. My friend Mr. Ashanth Deemantha also played under the visually impaired category. So for the first time two visually impaired Chess players participated in an international rating Chess tournament in Sri Lanka.
In this tournament I got the opportunity to open my ratings. It was a huge step in my Chess career. After 20 years of Visually impaired Chess in Sri Lanka to be the first rated visually impaired Chess player was a great achievement for me. If more and more visually impaired Chess players can participate in these kind of rated tournaments, I hope we can form a strong visually impaired Chess team in Sri Lanka. I got 5.5 points,  i got the opportunity to play 7 rated players and to get 2.5 points against them.

I would like to thank Mrs. Buddhi Panagoda for giving me the opportunity to play in this tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment