Monday, August 28, 2017

3rd Negambo Chess Festival 2017 Chess Championship.

I always believed that to improve Chess among visually impaired Chess players is to give them an opportunity to play with regular vision Chess players in their tournaments. The message I send to Mr. Dulan Edirisingha, one of the administrators of the Facebook group www.chesslife.lk was published on the group and one of the organizers of the Negambo Chess Festival 2017  Mr. Malon Fenando gave an opportunity for visually impaired Chess players to participate in the 3rd Negambo Chess Festival 2017 Chess Championship.
The event was held from the 20th of August to 24th of August. More than 500 players participated in this tournament. Four visually impaired Chess players including myself were invited for this tournament. But other three players couldn’t participate in the tournament due to various reasons. I didn’t want to miss this golden opportunity.
I didn’t have big expectations for this tournament. I just wanted to participate and to get a good experience. I was so excited and happy to become the first visually impaired Chess player in Sri Lanka to play in a such a big event. I was really satisfied the way I played in the tournament. I got 5 points out of 10 rounds. The experience I got by playing with regular vision Chess players was so precious for me. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. I played my games on a special Chess board designed for visually impaired players, it was a new experience for other Chess players to play a game with me.
Since 2014 I am looking for a Chess trainer. It is a challenging task for a trainer because most of the Chess lessons are designed in visual form. But now with the latest technology we can read printed documents, notes etc. My goal is to be the Asian visually impaired Chess Champion in the next IBCA Asian Chess Championship. If I get the proper training and guidance I believe I can achieve my goal.
I would like to thank the organizers of the 3rd Negambo Chess festival, for giving me an opportunity to play in the tournament. All the arbiters for carrying out the games I played according to the rules for a visually impaired player vs regular vision player and for all the other players for their support. I would like to congratulate Nanayakkara J A K Saranath for winning the chess tournament!
Finally I would like to share a game that I played in the tournament, which I enjoyed the most. I’m playing White.
1.e4, d5
2.exd5, Qxd5
3.Nc3, Qa5
4.Nf3, Bf4
5.d4, Nf6
6.Bd3, Bxd3
7.Qxd3, h6
8.O-O, e6
9.a3, c6
10.b4, Bxb4
11.axb4, Qxa1
12.Bxh6, Qxf1+
13.Kxf1, Rxh6
14.Ne4, Nxe4
15.Qxe4, Na6
16.b5, f5
17.Qe5, Nb4
18.Qxg7, Rxh2
19.Ne5, Rh1+
20.Ke2, Re1+
21.Kxe1, Nxc2+
22.Kd2, Nxd4
23.Qf7+, Kd8

24.Qd7#