Thursday, June 1, 2017

The Asian Pacific Chess Championship for the Visually Challenge 2017.

I was so happy to be selected for the Asian chess tournament for the visually challenge 2017. The tournament was an individual tournament and 3 players were selected for the tournament from Sri Lanka.

This was the first time I represented my country in an international sports event. The tournament was very tuff. Indian players dominated the tournament, winning the top 5 places. I placed 20th in the tournament by getting 2 points out of 8 rounds, while my other team members got 1 point each. I had some good wins against higher rated visually challenged players via Skype real time tournaments before we went to India for the Asian Chess tournament, but when it comes to real tournament games the atmosphere is totally different. We last played our national tournament in 2014, since then we didn’t have any tournaments organized for the visually challenged players in Sri Lanka. This was a great experience for me.


During the tournament we had 2 workshops in the topic of “How to develop Chess in Asia for the visually challenge”.  And I learned a lot from the case study presented by Mr. Charu Daththa how they developed Chess in India for the visually challenged. What I felt was we are in a similar situation where India was in 1998. No one has taken the responsibility to develop Chess in Sri Lanka for the visually challenged.  This is a good time for all Chess lovers in Sri Lanka to get together and develop Chess for the visually challenge in Sri Lanka.